Whilst in hospital, one of the foods I realised I actually liked was baked beans! I had never really had them before and had always been put off by the thought of them for some reason but turns out they’re pretty good! So, I decided to put my own spin on them and came up with these Sweet and Smokey Beans which I paired with sweet potato (of course) but would go amazingly on toast, on a regular jacket tatty or even with rice! You could have these for brekkie, lunch or tea too! They are packed full of flavour and are really pretty filling which is always a bonus. Amazing.
I made this recipe and ate the whole thing (thanks, extreme hunger) but it might serve 2 people if you’re not feeling quite so ravenous.
You will need:
- 1 x 400g can mixed beans
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 25g sundried tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- A small handful fresh parsley (or coriander), chopped
- Add the chopped tomatoes to a pan and place over a low-medium heat. Add the sundried tomatoes, maple syrup, cumin, paprika and smoked paprika to the pan and stir until fully combined.
- Bring the mixture to the boil.
- Once the mix is boiling, reduce the heat to low and add the mixed beans along with the chopped parsley. Stir until combined and leave to simmer for 25-30 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Once the sauce has thickened, remove from the heat and serve. I love mine in a sweet potato brunch bowl topped with extra fresh parsley or alongside slices of avocado toast. Enjoy!
Any leftovers will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days, but I like to freeze the extra portion where they’ll keep for up to 6 weeks.